"Statistically, analysis on requirement engineering has reported that incomplete requirement specification, uncontrolled changing requirement and lack of user inputs are major reasons for software failure."
What trend do you foresee in Requirement Engineering?
Five important trends are as follows:
(1) The effectiveness of requirement engineering practices for software development processes. It can be performed by involving the analysis of requirement management and requirement development techniques. These techniques emphasize on the elicitation, specification, verification and validation of requirements.
(2) The impact of requirement engineering in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) phases such as design, implementation, etc. Literature review indicates that the quality of requirement engineering practices influence the success of software development processes.
(3) The analysis of the security requirement engineering for an organization. Security is one of the most important aspects of requirement engineering for designing quality software. The security requirement can be applied in an organization for designing accurate and secure software products.
(4) Analyzing and extracting useful information according to the business and technological needs for an organization to produce quality software products. Information requirement engineering is another sub-area of requirement engineering research, which provides tools, framework, and techniques to the organization to develop software that satisfies the market needs.
(5) Measurement analysis of proposed requirement engineering process framework for designing quality software products. It may present the framework based on system dynamics model as well as performance analysis for measuring the requirement engineering process performance in term of quality, cost and schedule adherence.
What did you investigate in your last publication?
Many organizations already have established their procedures and methodologies for conducting business requirements analysis, which may have been optimized specifically for the business organization. The main activities for analyzing business requirements are identifying business conception and association, determining business object life cycle, and identifying business tasks and methods. Similarly, the following factors are helpful to create requirement models such as, identification of stakeholders, capturing the stakeholder's requirement, categorized the requirement and interpret and record the requirements. We have investigated the implementation of requirement modeling for various requirements analysis purposes and mapping of conventional requirements artifacts into system elements.
What are the most interesting or surprising things you have learned about since your arrival at your current workplace?
I have learned from my life that, we receive three educations; one from our parents, one from our schoolmasters and one from the world. The third contradicts all that the first two teach us.
What topics have you been teaching so far since your arrival at Babasaheb Bhimraio Ambedkar University?
Several modules such as IT Applications, Software Engineering, Software Testing and Quality Assurance.
What was your most successful moment?
My most successful moment was when I qualified the NET examination and got the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) from the University Grants Commission (UGC), Delhi. And also when I was selected at the University as Assistant Professor.
Your recommendation(s) and advise for young researchers who would want to pursue research in Requirement Engineering?
When you say that you are undertaking a research study to find answers to questions, you are implying that the process:
- is being undertaken within a framework of a set of philosophies (approaches);
- uses procedures, methods and techniques that have been tested for their validity and reliability;
- is designed to be unbiased and objective.
Philosophies mean approaches e.g. qualitative, quantitative and the academic discipline in which you have been trained.
Validity means that correct procedures have been applied to find answers to a question. Reliability refers to the quality of a measurement procedure that provides repeatability and accuracy.
Unbiased and objective means that you have taken each step in an unbiased manner and drawn each conclusion to the best of your ability and without introducing your own vested interest. (Bias is a deliberate attempt to either conceal or highlight something). Adherence to the three criteria mentioned above enables the process to be called 'research'.
However, the degree to which these criteria are expected to be fulfilled varies from discipline to discipline and so the meaning of 'research' differs from one academic discipline to another. The difference between research and non-research activity is, in the way we find answers: the process must meet certain requirements to be called research. We can identify these requirements by examining some definitions of research.
The word research is composed of two syllables, re and search. re is a prefix meaning again, anew or over again and search is a verb meaning to examine closely and carefully, to test and try, or to probe.
Together they form a noun describing a careful, systematic, patient study and investigation in some field of knowledge, undertaken to establish facts or principles. Research is a structured enquiry that utilizes acceptable scientific methodology to solve problems and create new knowledge that is generally applicable. Scientific methods consist of systematic observation, classification and interpretation of data.
What is your feeling about open-access publication? Do you recommend it?
I feel that working with Open Access Publication is fast and the author can publish their work in less time and with less registration fees. I strongly recommend Open Access Publication.
Apart from research and teaching, I love playing Cricket.
Click here to view all interviews
Would you like to take part in the IJCSI Interview Program (IIP)? Fill the Interview Application Form